Thursday, May 25, 2006

Planting Time

5-25-06 VERMONT: Yesterday was cool and windy, but today was glorious, sunny and warm. Yesterday I shopped for flowers, veges and herbs and then started planting. I added a few lupin to the lupin beds, a varigated jacobs ladder-Polemonium reptans ‘Stairway to Heaven’, Hollyhock-Alcea rosea ‘Chater’s Double Mix’, four beard tongue, two each-Penstemon barbatus ‘Prairie Dusk’ and Penstemon digitalis ‘Husker Red’, and a thyme to the beds east of the new house. I added another high bush blue berry-Vaccinium corymbosum ‘Blue Crop’ to the cluster by the pasture fence. I topped off the planting with some weeding and a bit of pruning. The lawn was mowed for the first time except for the swampy area above the pond which has standing water from all the rain.

Today Judy and I put out the deck furniture and lawn benches, put the boat on the pond, changed the storm doors to screen doors and I hung the hammock. I lay down upon the hammock for about 15 seconds before the black flies discovered I was there and I decided to move elsewhere. I probably won’t use the hammock again until everything is done, which will be November, just before I put it away for the winter.

New blooms: French lilac, Mohican viburnum.

No comments: