Thursday, October 16, 2008

Sawing and Fencing.

10-16-08 VERMONT: Last night it started to rain, and it continues this morning. The rain is washing away the fall color, but I can use the break. Judy comes up today with the goldens.

Monday I cut down five of the dead apple trees in the pasture, the sixth is sort of picturesque so I left it standing. I chained the fallen trunks, up to a foot in diameter, to the trailer hitch on the Subaru and dragged them across the road to Steve’s burn pile. When the trees fell, being dead and dried out, lots of the branches broke off. I piled them on top of the car to deliver to the burn pile. Who needs a tractor if you’ve got a Subaru? I also love my chainsaw.

Tuesday I repaired the wire fence in back of the pasture. Something, deer or moose perhaps, broke three of the five strands of wire. I found the ends, retracted from the break site, sorted out which wire was which strand, and pulled them together. They would almost meet at the break site, but there was not nearly enough to fasten together. Using extra wire and locking clamps, I put a bridging patch in each strand, sheetbends make a nice wire knot, being careful not to tangle the strands. After they were all repaired, I used tensioners to pull them taut. In the afternoon I cut down a small birch sapling to make a long rail for the wooden fence.

Yesterday I replaced the lattice at the north end of the deck that Gus had eaten. I had enough left over stuff to do the job. It was hard trying to not damage the perennials while doing the repair. Add in a bit of weeding, and it comes to three full days, close enough to a week for me.

Red Trees.

And red sky.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I love my chainsaw." Are you sure you're a Democrat?