Thursday, August 20, 2009

Alone Together.

8-20-09 VERMONT: Lily and I hiked on Mt. Ascutney to Crystal Cascade on Tuesday, and yesterday the three of us canoed on the Connecticut and Mink Brook. Today, Lily caught the early morning bus to NYC leaving us alone together again for two days.

I was back on the job at the crack of noon. I did a bit of rose pruning, sprayed some weeds with Round-Up, cleared the culvert, filled dog holes, watered the new plantings, planted a new purple iris in the pond, and planted hostas and lingularia in the porch bed from which I had pulled daylilies. They were: Hosta ‘Guacamole’; Hosta x ‘Gold Standard’; Lingularia dentata ‘Othello’; Lingularia dentata ‘Britt-Marie Crawford’; and Lingularia stenocephala ‘The Rocket’. I lost the name tag for the iris.

I also laid wire mesh over an area that Gus digs up every day. I fill it in; he digs it up. Now we’ll see if he can use a claw hammer.

It has been dry for almost a week. There have been showers, but the total accumulation has been about 0.1 inches.

New blooms: globe thistle, lobelia, sedum.


Dewey Roquemore daylily. Redness!

No comments: