Tuesday, November 03, 2009

New Plantings II.

11-3-09 SHORT HILLS: I finished the planting today, adding another five deciduous shrubs after another trip to the nursery.

Today’s list: Roses-1 Rosa ‘Blushing Knock Out’
1 Rosa x ‘Radtkopink’ PPAF
Abelia-2 Abelia x ‘Mardi Gras’ PP#15203
Sweetspire-1 Itea virginica ‘Sprich’ PP#10988
Cotoneaster-1 C. horizontalis ‘Variegatus’

The cotoneaster couldn’t go where I wanted to put it because the sprinkler system pipes ran through the spot, and they were to shallow to get the plant in. I put it next to the sunroom steps.

After the planting, I fence the area to keep the dogs out. Tomorrow—day off.



Here are all the happy plants in their new home. One might ask if too many plants are packed in there. After all, aren't they going to grow bigger. Well, they are, hopefully, but some may not thrive because it's too sunny or too dark, too wet or too dry, too acidic or too alkaline, too sandy a soil or too much clay or too who knows what. They could be spaced out allowing for their fully mature size, but then the spot looks sparsely planted until maturity three or four years down the road, and we want it to be attractive before then. If something seems to be unhappy there or crowded by a neighbor, I'll move it elsewhere.

5 comments:

valerie said...

Hey, did you paint or something? The house looks GREAT!

Anonymous said...

Hi, as you can see this is my first post here.
In first steps it's really good if somebody supports you, so hope to meet friendly and helpful people here. Let me know if I can help you.
Thanks in advance and good luck! :)

Anonymous said...

Whats up everybody, I just signed up on this awesome community forum and desired to say hello! Have a incredible day!

weepeterway

Anonymous said...

Awesome post dude!
This is because why i love this website so much!

Anonymous said...

Hi all, I just registered on this excellent discussion board and desired to say aloha! Have a incredible day!