Sunday, April 25, 2010

Attack of the Giant Wisteria.

4-25-10 SHORT HILLS: Rain today, at least an inch so far, with more tomorrow and Tuesday. I have done more pruning of the driveway junipers. Every time I look at them, I find another broken branch. I have taken carloads of pruned broken branches to the dump.

Yesterday Judy and I were in Brooklyn to see Maggie perform in the Packer School production of “Grease”. It was nice to hear the music again, and we thought the production was excellent. Before dinner and before the show, we had a tour of Val’s container garden on her third story terrace. Everything is off to a good start, but what were most impressive were the neighbor’s wisteria engulfing apartment buildings.

These wisteria are covered with flowers, mine have never bloomed in spite of all the recommended maneuvers to encourage flowering. I cut them back to the ground last fall, but here they come, all shoots and leaves again.

New blooms: bridal wreath [deutzia], may apple.


These wisteria pix are taken from Val's third-floor terrace. The vines are growing from the ground.

In the lower right foreground is the top of a maple tree.

No comments: