Monday, October 11, 2010

Wright's Mountain.

10-11-10 VERMONT: Yesterday I hiked with Roger and Ann, we climbed Wright’s Mt. in Bradford, VT. It’s not real high, but the trails are winding and numerous. The trail map looks like a snarl of yarn. The mountain bedrock is schist. It has some nice views from the vantage points and an interesting pile of huge boulders called the Devil’s Den. I think it is a glacier created pile under south-facing cliffs. It was an all afternoon event and had my hips griping by the end.

Last night Judy threw another one of her soirees. Roger, Ann, Adena, Craig, Ken and Jane were our guests. We settled most of the world’s problems, and everyone stayed fairly late, considering that it was a school night.

Today I was back in the yard. With Judy’s help, all the outdoor furniture was stored and the boat is in the barn. I sprayed burdock, thistle and nettle in the pasture around the barns with RoundUp. I cleared another bed, hauled away the cuttings, enlarged another bed by moving the rock border outwards and weeded a different bed. There’s lots more to do, but I’m caught up for now and waiting for a hard frost before doing the rest.

New blooms: witchhazel [forgot to mention last week].


View from Wright's Mt. looking west.

No comments: