Sunday, May 29, 2011

Now It's the Perennials Turn.

5-29-11 VERMONT: Everyday in the eighties says ‘summer’ to me. I’m glad that cold spring is over. Today was overcast and threatening, but stayed dry. In the late afternoon we went to an auction preview, and now Judy has her eye on a couple items to bid for tomorrow.

Before that excursion, I put several new perennials in beds mostly on the east side of the house. We lost all the hollyhocks, some dephinium, some foxglove and a number of other items. Violets seem to have taken over parts of several beds. Now I like violets—they’re pretty, come out early and are a welcome sight in violet, of course, and white. But they are invasive in a big way. I usually pull out the big clumps and, because I like them, put them in their own bed next to the road. That bed got significantly bigger yesterday and today. Pulling the violets and the winter kill left some big holes that I filled today.

I put four hollyhock in the bottom north terrace bed to replace the missing delphinium—Alcea rosea ‘Chater’s Double Red’, ‘Queenly Purple’, ‘Newport Pink’, and ‘Spring Celebrities Purple’ and one of them in the bed below the deck. I also put two lupin, Lupinus ‘Gallery Red’ and a tickseed coreopsis ‘Jethro Tull’ in that bed and also repaired the wall and trimmed some black leaves off of the peonies and sprayed them with fungicide.

In the beds east of the new house, I tried another Delphinium grandiflorum, ‘Butterfly Compacta’, three foxglove, Digitalis grandiflora [Ambigua] in a new location, three sea holly, Eryngium planum ‘Blue Hobbit’ not used before, and three threadleaf coreopsis, Coreopsis rosea ‘American Dream’.

Generally, I don’t try again and again to get something to grow in a spot that doesn’t work for plant X, but go with what is happy in that spot. I will try to find a new spot for something I like that hasn’t taken in spot Y.

New blooms: speedwell, celandine.


Brady the horse back for another summer. He's in his mid-twenties, old for a horse. The mask is to keep the bugs off his face. Carol, he sends his regards.

No comments: