Sunday, November 06, 2011

Yard Work IV.

11-6-11 VERMONT: Today was a re-play of yesterday. The pond was almost completely frozen this morning, but again melted back during the day, although only a third of it. Tonight will be cold again.

I finished the beds behind the house and started on the beds adjacent to the porch. I had to clear the snow free beds first and move the snow piles to the cleared beds to do the beds that had been snow covered. I figured out a way to move the frozen snow by breaking it into chunks and tossing them aside with a pitchfork. That was fast and my hands didn’t get cold. I generated another three cart loads, which seems to be my limit. I should finish the beds tomorrow.

Scott has been working between the pasture fence and the road to rebuild the old wall there. That wall, as they all do, had fallen apart, mostly from time and neglect due to freeze-thaw cycles, truck traffic, tree roots, etc. Lots of rocks are there, many have rolled down the slope toward the road. Since Josh and Kolbi brush-hogged that area and the wall is re-appearing, there are four parallels—the road, the line of old sugar maples, the wall and the fence. I guess I need a picture.


The pasture looks good with brush cut down and a fresh mowing.

Frozen pond, that red tree in front of the house is the apple, laden with fruit, which the birds will eat.

No comments: