Saturday, July 26, 2014

Kearsarge.

7-26-14 VERMONT: Wow, I have fallen into a posting deficit. We had 0.8 inches of rain after my last post, which got everything nicely soaked.

The next day Alison, Dan and I did an easy hike up Mt. Kearsarge in southern NH. We did the southern hike, from Rollins State Park on the Rollins Trail. It’s an easy half mile and 300 feet of vertical, just enough for geezer bones. The summit of Kearsarge is bare from a forest fire in 1796. The views are great. They say Boston can be seen on a clear day, but not when we were there, and it was pretty clear. The rock looked like igneous/gneiss at first glance. I’ll do an entry on the geology blog after I’ve researched it.

The next day Judy and Alison helped Lily host a BBQ for her friends who didn’t have visitors for Parents’ Weekend at camp, oops, I mean college. It worked out well, and gave us a practice run for the potluck, neighborhood party we’re hosting tonight.

New blooms: Shasta daisy, goose-neck loosestrife, phlox.


Which one is the sherpa?

Lake Sunapee in the  middle and Mt. Ascutney in the distance.

Looking NE toward the Whites.

No comments: