Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Corn Seeds.

2-10-15 SHORT HILLS: If you’re still snow cranky, as I am, here’s some news. I ordered the corn seeds today.

We have had dusting of new snow the last two nights. Yesterday’s was more of an icy mix so I scrapped and salted the driveway path, but today portion is disappearing on its own this sunny, forty plus afternoon.

About the corn seeds, I bought them from Johnny’s Selected Seeds as I usually do. I bought ‘Trinity’, a bicolor [yellow and white] hybrid that will be ripe 68 days after planting. It is an se+ type, that designation means it is extra sweet and tender and that the conversion of sugar to starch after picking is slowed. The conversion time is not so important to those of us who pick just before cooking, serving and eating.

Each stalk will be five feet tall, have two ears per stalk, and the ears will 7.5 to 8 inches long and have 14-16 rows of kernels per ear. The minimum soil temperature for planting is 55° F., I suspect it’s colder than that now but will be there by mid-May. ‘Trinity’ is resistant to Northern Corn Leaf Blight, Common Rust and Stewart’s Wilt. A package of 100 seeds cost about $4 plus shipping.

Now, don’t you feel a little better about the long winter?


'Trinity' from the on-line catalog at jonnyseeds.com.

No comments: