Friday, May 22, 2015

Chores in Vermont.

5-22-15 VERMONT: We arrived yesterday and were greeted by neighbor Steve and a bunch of black flies. We prefer Steve.

Today was very windy, a good thing because it blows the black flies away. I started on a pile of spring jobs that I haven’t had a chance to do. I am walking on the healing, broken leg, doing partial weight bearing with one crutch, but sometimes I forget to use the crutch.

I skimmed the pond, picking up debris from the fall and spring that was floating around on the surface. That friendly wind blew the debris near the side for pickup with a pool skimmer net. Then I gave the pond another ‘probiotic’ treatment and scattered barley straw pellets around the edges of the pond. They attack algae growth. The pond is actually looking clearer this spring. I also filled the bird feeders. Tomorrow I get help from neighbor Clara for setting up the new veggie garden.

Judy and I did errands this morning including a trip to Longacre’s Nursery for herbs and tomatoes and a hanging basket for the pumpkin cart and dried stuff for her indoor arrangements this morning.

In bloom: apple, French lilac, Mohican viburnum, honeysuckle, azalea, white trillium, red trillium, mertensia, bleeding heart, viola, ajuga, purple lamium, dandelion, wild strawberry, golden alexander, forget-me-not, alkanet, epimedium, white geranium, spurge, hellebore, wild ginger, jack-in-the-pulpit, vinca minor, pachysandra.


Spectacular apple tree, almost always does it on Memorial Day.

Bleeding hearts hiding under the apple tree's gnarly trunks.

Just as good from the other side.

No comments: