Tuesday, August 25, 2015

More New Plants.

8-25-15 VERMONT: I woke up to a peal of thunder this morning. The sky was black and rain poured down along with more thunder, some of it quite close to us. Now in the afternoon, it might be clearing up.

The rain is timely, because I planted a tree hydrangea, Hydrangea paniculata ‘Limelight’, by the dog graveyard yesterday. Many of the local graveyards have similar tree hydrangeas planted amid the markers. I bought it at Brown’s Nursery along with a marsh marigold, Caltha palustri ‘Multiplex’, which went at the edge of the pond in the water. I also put a hibiscus hybrid, ‘Lord Baltimore’, in the north terrace bed. I know, a hibiscus?, in Vermont? Well, it’s supposed to be hardy to Zone 4. We’ll see if those huge, red flowers show up next year.

The day before yesterday I planted five Shasta daisies, Leucanthemum superbum ‘Alaska’, by the side of the pond. They were also from Brown’s.

New blooms: daisy [not the new ones].


Lobelia in three flavors.

How it looks to the pollinator, who heads down that cup in the middle, spreading pollen on the search for nectar.

2 comments:

Alison said...

i can't believe you BOUGHT a marsh marigold. i could have given you enough to cover the meadow from my front yard alone. lobelias look amazing!

Alison said...

i can't believe you BOUGHT a marsh marigold. i could have given you enough to cover the meadow from my front yard alone. lobelias look amazing!