Thursday, November 05, 2015

Vermont Clean-Up.

11-5-15 VERMONT: I came up yesterday. It was a hellish trip with major delays on the Tappan Zee Bridge and on I-84. I was anticipating a fast trip because it’s between leaf season and snow sports—hunting is only on weekends for the most part, but no.

Today I cleared most of the beds on the east side of the house using the weed whacker to chop down the canes, and then I raked them out of the beds and loaded them into the cart to dump in the pasture. The before and after pix below show how much debris gets removed. If I don’t pull it out now, it gets packed down by the snow into a dense layer that impedes new growth. It’s hard to remove it in the spring because the sunnier parts of the beds melt out first and growth begins while the darker parts of the beds are still snow covered. When the last of the snow melts, doing the clean-up injures the new growth. I did about five hours of work, which is about my max. Fortunately it gets dark by 4 PM so I have to stop.

We saw ‘Hamilton’ the night before I came north. It is brilliant and revolutionary, pun intended. I was very pleased to see that it is historically accurate. As a one time History major, Hamilton was a favorite of mine. Speaking of Hamilton, Ron Chernow’s 2005 book, entitled, Alexander Hamilton is also excellent, and a good way to prep for the show if you're so inclined.


Apple tree has lost all its leaves, but has plenty of crimson fruit.

Closer look at the apples. They are being swarmed and gobbled by birds, mostly robins.

Garden beds before clean-up.

And another bed.

After clean up, the walls reappear and.....

The stone-work becomes visible.

And.....we saw 'Hamilton' on Tuesday.

No comments: