Sunday, February 26, 2017

February Spring Ends.

2-26-17 SHORT HILLS: After several warm, May like, days, it got cold today. The weather changed with a short but tumultuous rainstorm yesterday. We were having dinner with Richard and Elaine at Café Fiorello and barely noticed the storm until we walked across the Lincoln Square to Geffen Hall for our concert.

We heard Beethoven’s Symphony No. 8 and then No. 7 after the intermission. Herbert Blomstedt conducted the Philharmonic. We were in the back of the First Tier, and I think the sound gets a little thin there, but I need hearing aids so I’m never sure if it’s the hall or me. I especially like the second movement of the 7th, the Allegretto, when he changes from major keys to A minor.

A few evenings before that, we had dinner at Common Lot in Millburn with Bebe and Ronnie, and we dog-walked with them today.

I have been out in the yard doing the clean up since the weather warmed. I have worked my way about half way around, pulling off the deadfall and pruning dead branches from trees and shrubs. Some of the shrubs I didn’t prune, because I am waiting to see whether or not they break into leaf or have dead sections. I am not fertilizing now. It’s too soon. I am afraid of stimulating new growth that would be hurt by severe weather.

New blooms: elm tree.


Nyjer seeds on the right are monopolized by the goldfinches. They are starting to change into summer clothes.

Sunflower seeds on the left get the red finches and cardinals today.

The stage at Geffen Hall, née Fisher Hall, before the Beethoven symphonies.

Intermission from the First Tier looking at the plaza in the rain and the reflections.

Fountain in the rain...

The Met Opera House...

The reflecting pool and the Beaumont. Those white spots are the rain drops illuminated.

No comments: