Thursday, March 08, 2018

Disastrous Snow Storm.

3-8-17 SHORT HILLS: What a disaster! We have two trees down, and several others with severe damage, including magnolias, elm, locust, ash, hemlocks and arborvitae. Under the broken trees and branches, there are damaged shrubs that I can’t assess because of the snow accumulation.

We probably had about 18 inches of the worst thick, wet and heavy glop. It struck just as the winter seemed to be winding down and is clearly the worst storm of the last few years. We have power while thousands do not. Our street is closed by downed trees, some of them ours.

A huge black pine that I planted in the seventies fell across the driveway, blocking us in. I cut out part of the trunk so we could get plowed. Trees that I planted and nurtured have been severely injured.


A black pine fell across the driveway and completely blocked us in. I had planted it in the '70's.

After I cut the center of the trunk out so we could get plowed. There were 18" of snow-heavy, dense, wet snow. The pine tree took out a bunch of shrubs, but I don't know which ones or how badly they're damaged because of the snow cover.

Birds perching on the pine pile.

The back yard with snow sticking to everything.

The flagpole is snow covered on the north side.

The root ball of the pine in the driveway after the driveway was plowed.

No comments: