Thursday, May 24, 2018

Game Cams.

5-24-18 VERMONT: A rainy Tuesday gave me a day off, so I went to Home Depot for fertilizer and fencing and a couple plants, and then to Longacres for more perennials and tomatoes and herbs.

The last two days I have been doing the veggie garden. First I used the string trimmer to reduce the size of some massive weeds, mostly dandelions, and then I pulled back the black plastic mulch and the soaker hose and then tackled those weeds. After the weeds were removed, I graded the bed, added soil to a couple low spots. I had already put up the solar-powered fence charger so the battery could charge. I needed to replace the broken female end of the soaker hose and then test it for leaks.

Today I fertilized the bed, raked the fertilizer into the soil, positioned the soaker hose, and laid the plastic mulch back down. I planted 12 tomatoes—four Sun Sugar, two each of Early Girl, Parks Whopper, Heirloom ‘Hawaiian Pineapple’ and Heirloom ‘Cour di Blue-Oxheart’ and four Basil between the rows of tomatoes. Maybe in two months of so I can figure out which tomato is which.

Then I planted 85 corn hills with hybrid, bicolor, super sweet seeds, three seeds per hill. I will cover them with fencing so the crows can’t get in there and eat all the seeds like they did last year.

I looked at the pix from the game cameras, both of them were pointed in the same direction, as you can see from the pix. They both took a lot of pix, most with nothing but snow and ice. The Bushnell caught a couple deer that the Moultrie didn’t, but the Moultrie got birds that the Bushnell missed. One of several night shots showed a cat. I moved the cams, one to the back of the pasture, and the other to a woodsy path, otherwise they would just be seeing the dogs and us. There were a lot of shots of the guys mowing the lawn.

New blooms: blueberry, hawthorn, lilac, black mustard, gill-over-the-ground.


Deer, no rack, in early April.

A deer at the far end of the pond, snow disappearing in late April.

New snow in April.

Warm day in late April, snow and ice are melting.

Two water birds on the pond, Canada geese, I think.

A merganser has been back a few times, as recently as three days ago.

Blue heron posed for a lot of pix.

No comments: