Sunday, December 09, 2018

Cooper's Hawk.

12-9-18 SHORT HILLS: I was watching the bird feeder activity out front yesterday morning. There were birds bustling about on the ground under the feeders, birds flying onto and off of the feeders, and birds on the suet feeder pecking away. It was a sunny morning, and I noticed a shadow cross the area.

Every bird suddenly disappeared into the shrubs. A moment later a large hawk landed in the ash tree that hangs over the feeder site. I got several shots while he/she hung around for about ten minutes.

An hour later everything was back to normal.

My expert consultants, Mike and Donna, agreed that the bird was an immature Cooper’s hawk. I find it hard to tell one immature bird from another.

Thanks to Lynn and Bill for dinner last night with Leeza and Roger and us.


Coopers hawk, immature-above and below...




No comments: