Tuesday, July 02, 2019

Just Me and Judy Left Here.

7-2-19 VERMONT: Joey is back home, his flight was delayed almost an hour because the plane was late getting to Logan. We did catch up with Maggie after the plane took off, and took her to dinner at a Mexican restaurant in Harvard Square. The Sunday T-storms mostly missed us, and we got a big welcome from the dogs when we finally got home. Thanks to Janet for feeding them dinner.

Today I planted the two coral bells, Heuchera, that were surplus wedding plants from Alison. They sat by the pasture gate during the ceremony. Fortunately they tolerate dryness pretty well. I did water them while they waited around for me to get them planted.

I put them in the upper north terrace bed, which is a weedy mess. I cleared about half of it and planted them near, but not under, the apple tree. I had previously put an obedient plant there and added a second that I moved from the bed below the deck. Last year I had put a hardy hibiscus there among the ferns and iris. I dug out big areas of the bed before the planting to get rid of grass and weed roots. I hope to slowly rehab that area.

The game cam caught lots of deer, as usual, and a smallish black bear in the back pasture.

New blooms: water lily, baptisia, valerian, daisy.


Game cam picked up a visitor a week before the wedding, probably a yearling because she/he seems small.

Big peony.

First water lilies are pink, white ones come out later.

The red peonies get a bit less sun and so open after the others.

White Admiral, ventral surface, on valerian, which is very aromatic and held its attention for a long time.

White admiral, dorsal surface, still on valerian.

Rose-breasted grosbeak considerately holding his pose.

Turkey in the pasture. Usually they travel in flocks. It's unusual to see a solitary bird.

Lots of deer caught by the game cam, in the same area as the bear, on the night before the wedding.

No comments: