Tuesday, August 27, 2019

End of the Season.

8-27-19 VERMONT: It’s the end of our extended stay in VT for summer. We go back to NJ tomorrow. We will be back for short visits over the next few months, especially to see the barn repair and new pond work. I did a pond treatment today, some watering, inspected the special herbs, which are not ready for harvesting as yet.

I transplanted a bunch of phlox that we got from friend and neighbor Jane, who had to thin out her beds. They are very vivid purple and red plants with almost none of the mildew that phlox often get. I planted about ten at three sites on the pond bank.

Other work was part of closing up, I put hoses away, painted the bench by the garage that was falling apart from the weather. I did repairs on it first. It will need another coat of paint. I spread mulch in some spots. I raked and shoveled out the big chip pile left over form the maple that came down two weeks ago. The grass seed they scattered after the work came up very quickly.

The four monarch chrysalises are not open yet. The hummingbird moth has been back, on the phlox this visit. The leaves are starting to turn on a few tree tops. We still need rain. Maybe tomorrow, when we’re on the road.

Pending blooms: toad lily, ligularia dentata, snakeroot, hibiscus, more asters.


Last view of Mt. Lafayette for a while.

No comments: