Monday, October 14, 2019

Rocks and Bridges.

10-14-19 VERMONT: It took Steve’s tractor and several of us to get the rock in position on the edge of the pond. From the dimensions of the rock and the density of rock, I calculated the weight to be 4,000 to 5,000 pounds. There were seven people, six dogs and one tractor, and we got it into position. Do to uneven bottom shape of the rock, a lot of smaller rocks were needed to get the big rock level. After it was stabilized, I back filled with dirt and turf.

Val named it ‘Pride Rock’ after some cartoon movie and B’way show. The personnel were, me, Judy, Val, Steve, Diana, Scott and Cedar, the dogs were Maizie, Gus, Kaley, Bally, Penny and Arthur.

Yesterday I set up the bridge abutments for crossing the new waterless stream. I used two more of the supports from the barn that were removed. Steve set them in position with the tractor the day we did Pride Rock. I made them parallel and set them at the same height opposite each other. I needed to roll them to one side or the other to make the adjustments. They are 9 inches above grade level so they need ramps for mowers, carts, or wheelbarrows to cross the stream.

Today I built the ramps with dirt, several wheelbarrows worth hauled in from the pasture, held in place with rocks barriers. I tamped it all down, and then I seeded the dirt and covered the seeds with mulch hay and watered it all. I will build the bridge with pressure treated wood next trip.

The leaves have peaked here and are falling fast.


More fall color. The dogs blend right in.

Here's the rock and rock movers and some of the dogs.

Tractor and chain made it an easier job.

Almost there.

The rock is in place.

Val trying it out, she named it 'Pride Rock', I thought she was calling it 'Fried Rock'. I said that I didn't get it.

No comments: