Thursday, January 30, 2020

Snowdrops? Now?

1-30-20 SHORT HILLS: We’re almost at the end of a warm January. Lots of buds are swelling and snowdrops are showing shoots and flower buds. I’m still afraid that harsh winter weather in the next two months may cause damage to those shrubs and trees. I have done more deadfall cleanup.

I remember a very short and mild winter several years ago that occurred during an El Niño event. This year we were in an El Niño a few months ago, and it might be re-forming now.

I’m off to India this weekend with Val, Lynn, Sarah and Bill. Judy is not going because Gus is very frail. We will be in Delhi, Agra, Jaipur and a couple National Parks for birds and tigers. I will try to do trip posts as we go, depending on the WiFi.


Snowdrops are apparently responding to the mild, relatively mild, weather.

Those are flowers buds a week or so away from opening. Usually they open in early March or late in February.

No comments: