Friday, April 17, 2020

Frost is Back.

4-17-20 SHORT HILLS: Capricious April has turned on us. Last night and tonight were and will be in the twenties. New tender shoots were frozen. Today warmed up to the forties and was sunny, so I was outside working while it got colder, darker and windier, and now rainy. I did get more trimming/pruning done in the border in back of the house.

The cold wave has frozen the spring flower parade, but after tomorrow, it is forecast to get warmer.

New blooms: dogwood, Kwansan cherry, ajuga.


Ajuga has a purple/green leaf and a purple flower in the spring.

It is an excellent ground cover, growing between bricks and blocks. I had an area that it took over, and I dug some up and planted them in blank spots with a high success rate. I took a bunch to VT last summer and am anxious to see how much survived the winter.

No comments: