Thursday, October 19, 2006

Fun Week

10/19/06 VERMONT: Wow, I missed a whole week. Time flies when you’re having fun. I blew the leaves again, the whole yard, that took two days and was harder after a rain soaked the leaves and grass. We had two rains in the past two weeks of 0.95 and 1.05 inches.

I rebuilt the small side entrance to the little barn. It was designed for geese, small enough to keep the larger animals out. It had fallen apart and since there are no geese, I was going to just clean it up and close the entry, but someone thought it gave the barn character and charm and that person insisted that it stay so it got rebuilt.

I cut down most of the garden perennials that had gone dormant and left those still in bloom or still green for the next trip. I pulled up the weed barriers that had been down on top of the wild mint that is taking over the pasture. The barrier had been down for two years, and if that mint is still alive, look out world, its coming for you.

The cimicfuga that bloomed this year has been pollinated and made seeds for the first time. Usually it doesn’t even get to bloom because it opens so late in the season. It is late October in Vermont, and there has been no hard frost yet this year. Global warming, anyone?

I spent the last three night being a book groupie. I followed Alison around to Author/Book events at the Hopkins Center in Hanover and St. Gaudens in Cornish and a home in Orford. She spoke well, and everybody loved her, especially the older ladies, and she sold a bunch of "Double Eagles." Short Hills tomorrow.

No comments: