Monday, June 02, 2008

Flower Drama.

6-2-08 SHORT HILLS: It is high summer here. It’s in the eighties, all the leaves are out, flowers are blooming. Unlike Vermont, which has had about half an inch for May, rain here has been adequate with over four inches for the month. The grass had been mowed, and green weeds are filling in the brown spots and the effect resembles a lawn.

New blooms since I was last here: siberian iris, rose, tree peony, spirea, rhododendron-purple and white, laurel, lilac, black chokeberry, English holly.


Tree Peony. Glorious.

English Holly flower. Male or Female?

2 comments:

AmandaDawnAmanda said...

Hello. I just stumbled upon your post while looking for tree peony pictures.

I believe your holly flowers are female. I'm a horticulture student and one of our Plant ID plants was Ilex vomitoria, or yaupon holly. In my research, I came across this website, which illustrates the difference between the male and female flowers. Assuming the English holly flowers would have similar characteristics to the yaupon, I'd say your flowers are female.

Gardener said...

Hi Mandy, You are quite correct, that holly flower is female. You can check some earlier posts where I put up some pictures of male and female flowers of holly trees. Here are the links:
http://gardendaily.blogspot.com/2006/06/sexual-secrets-revealed.html, http://gardendaily.blogspot.com/2006/06/sex-with-holly.html