Monday, January 19, 2009

January's Reign

1-19-08 SHORT HILLS: As we shiver our way through January, I have come to the realization that January, the month of my birth, is dismal and dreary. I do not, however, feel personally responsible for January’s bleakness even as one of her sons. It’s probably Valerie’s fault, she is also a Capricorn.

December is darker, but the holidays brighten it up, and February is shorter and its days are longer and offer the prospect of Spring to come. January is the fall guy [NPI] for Winter.

We have had a bit of snow almost every day, one or two inches, and in total not much accumulation, but the driveway plowers keep coming back and must love it. Things do look good.

Snowy Hemlocks.

Yesterday Judy and I went to the Americana auction previews at Sotheby's and Christie's houses in NYC. I think there is a bit less stuff on the block this year. It will be interesting to see how much the lots go for.

An Unusual Weather Vane.

Tomorrow is Inauguration Day. I remember Eisenhower’s first Inauguration and most of those since, but the level of activity, interest and anticipation is so much higher for Obama than for any other I recall.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't blame me that January sucks. It's really Steve's fault.

Gardener said...

of course, Steve, I should have known.