Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Perennial Favorites.

4-11-12 SHORT HILLS: The showers predicted for yesterday and today have failed to materialize, and I turned on the sprinklers. Most of them are working OK, but there are a few problems to be fixed.

Otherwise, it was me and Shovel all day. I planted several perennials in the new bed by the holly tree, in the bed by the flagpole, in the beds by the back patio. I added six more Sweet Woodruff [Galium odoratum] to the patio bed under the dining room window, and six Dead Nettle [Lamium maculatum ‘Ghost’ and ‘Pink Pewter’] to the bed under the living room window. In the bed by the holly tree, I added two Jacob’s Ladder [Polemonium ‘Brise d’Anjou’ USPP9781] and a Columbine [Aquilegia ‘Biedermeier’]. I added two more Jacob’s Ladder and another Columbine, same varieties, to the flagpole bed as well as two Bleeding Hearts [Dicentra spectabilis], two Lungwort [Pulmonaria ‘Bertram Anderson’ and ‘Raspberry Splash’], two Bearded Iris [Iris germanica ‘Tempting Fate’], and one Corydalis [Corydalis shimienensis ‘Blackberry Wine’]. All of them, except the Iris, are shade tolerant, a necessity in this yard. We will see what works.

I especially want to thank Shovel for her help. She can really dish the dirt.

New blooms: apple tree.

No comments: