Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Tomatoes and Herbs.

5-24-17 VERMONT: The last two days I have been working on the veggie garden. Yesterday I pulled off the black plastic mulch and the soaker hose and weeded the extensive invasion. Some of the dandelions were as big as minivans. I had to use a shovel to dig them out. The shovel found large rocks just a few inches below the surface that had to be removed with the aid of crowbars and rollers. Removing the rocks left big holes in the bed, so I went to Home Depot to get bags of garden soil to fill the holes. End of Day One.

Today I graded the bed, fertilized, raked the fertilizer into the soil, tested and the replaced the soaker hose and stapled it in place. Then I replaced the plastic mulching and stapled that in place. Then I did some fence post bracing and adjusted the electric fencing and the charger. I also had to adjust the gate latches. Then, finally, I planted twelve tomatoes and basil, dill and rosemary. They all went into the side of the garden that had the corn last year. Changing locations avoids some pests that can overwinter in the soil. End of Day Two.

Tomorrow, if the weather holds, I’ll plant the corn and set up the tomato cages. I should also mention that I trimmed around the veggie garden to keep tall grass and weeds that are outside the fence from interfering with the bottom electric wire.

New blooms: honeysuckle bush.


Pretty sky last night.

Lilacs are all over the area. These flowers have an unusual color and a 'spicy' aroma. I brought a small plant to Vermont from our NJ yard years ago. They have thrived here, but died out in NJ

This apple is almost at peak and...

the bleeding hearts under the apple are also at peak.

No comments: