Monday, April 06, 2020

Floral Stampede.

4-6-20 SHORT HILLS: Another magnificent day with a peak at sixty and cloudless sky after 0.2 inches of rain last night. Usually the lawn doesn’t need mowing before May, but I’m thinking next week this year. More flowers are out, and I can hardly keep up.

I saw a goldfinch in his summer clothes yesterday-picture to follow when he holds still.

The hemlocks were sprayed for wooly adelgid today. The therapy is mineral oil, and they will need a few more treatments. Tomorrow the sprinkler people will open the system. I called the fence company for the split rail fence—several posts and rails need replacing.

New blooms: daffodil, quince, claytonia, trout lily.


My only daffodil this year, I hope it's not lonely. There are some other buds.

Quince. It resembles apple, cherry and pear.

Claytonia, another ephemera that will soon be gone, but almost makes parts of the lawn look like new snow.

Claytonia again, white with red pinstripes.

More marsh marigold.

Saucer Magnolia.

Trout lily, named for the leaf coloration, I guess. Another transient that you have to catch while it's up.

More trout lily, at a slightly earlier stage.

Yoshino cherry at peak before the Kwansan cherry has started.

No comments: