Thursday, August 20, 2020

The War on Ferns.

8-20-20 VERMONT: It’s still too dry, but we have had some rain a few days ago, several showers, but none today. Last night it was in the low fifties, and it barely got to 70° today. These cold nights leave heavy dew in the morning, and the grass doesn’t dry out until mid- morning or later, the soggy mornings make up, in part, for the lack of adequate rain.

I have finished re-working the brook to remove mud and gravel and finished exposing the rock face behind the brook. The ferns that were there are now transplanted to the area behind the new pond, the mostly dry pond.

I’m now working on the terrace beds and terrace to remove weeds, grass and invaders, leaving behind the acceptable volunteers, wild strawberry, violets, forget-me-nots, fever few, columbine, bleeding heart, anemone, and ajuga, thyme and dianthus that I have planted between the pavers. The bed to the east of the old chimney by the terrace was totally overgrown with ferns and gill-over-the-ground [GOTG] that drove out the bleeding hearts that used to own the bed.

I have pulled most of the ferns and moved them to another site behind the new pond. I hope that pond will be backed by all fern as they fill in, and the pond fills up. The GOTG was chucked.

I like ferns, in fact I love ferns, but if you neglect a flower bed, the ferns will take over. I pull them out and transplant them to spots where nothing else grows.

Monkshood has been out for a week or so, and I forgot to list it in the last post.

New blooms: clematis, monkshood.


This clematis, White Star, takes over its corner of the deck every summer.

It has the tomatoes in that corner in its grasp.

The gold of August surrounds borscht-colored phlox.

1 comment:

docsid said...

borsht colored depends on one's taste : beet or cabbage.....I prefer beet and don't see red