Monday, September 04, 2006

Labor Day

9-4-06 VERMONT: The Monday of Labor Day weekend is always a downer even now that I don’t have to go back to school or, worse, work. It remains cold here, but today was pretty and nice. Ernesto was rained out by the time he got here and contributed only 0.25 inches and no more wind than the average rainy day. Yesterday I was depressed, but today, with a bit of sun and a shovel, I felt better.

Saturday we went to an auction preview in Haverill, NH and saw nothing interesting except “free hostas” that a neighbor had dug up a left by the roadside. I passed them by on the way out, but took them on the way home as no one else was apparently interested. Today I planted them near the lily bed by the porch, filling that section and eliminating some scruffy lawn. I cut each of them into two or three pieces and had enough to fill the whole area. Add water and it’s a full day. I also transplanted the garden herbs to a large pot, two actually, one each for here and for Short Hills where I go tomorrow.

I’ll also bring down dozens of tomatoes and some corn and the remaining dogs.

Sunday Judy left in the morning. I did repairs to some heating ducts in the old basement and a few other indoor chores while it rained. In the afternoon I went to the preview at Wm. Smith’s auction which was held today. There was lots of very nice stuff, but I’m auctioned out. None of the things Judy was interested in were worth a trip back to bid.

Trips to town and back have been exciting. We have seen a flock of turkeys and a pair of fawns several times. I’ll post pictures tomorrow.

New blooms: bottle gentian, more sedum.

No comments: