Sunday, June 29, 2008

Mr. Snapper Pays a Call.

6-29-08 VERMONT: Yesterday started as dark, gray and overcast and then the T-storm began after ten minutes of high wind which knocked out the electricity and phones for a while. The generator performed magnificently. The rain continued overnight, delivering 0.85 inches as of this morning. Today began with another T-storm, but almost cleared up a few times before watering us again tonight. The afternoon was muggy and buggy, but who’s complaining.

Thanks to Ken K. for helping me, actually, me helping him, change the control switch on the disposal during yesterday’s storm.

In between storms, I trimmed the high grass around the edge of the pond and cleaned off the old steps from the deck to the pond under the apple tree. One of the steps was badly awry. I pulled it out, packed gravel behind it and reseated it. The pry bar and sledge are my favorite tools, after the Mac. Then I dead-headed the peonies and meadow rue, raked it all up and dumped it.

While doing the pond, I twice got a glimpse of a large turtle, dinner plate size, probably a snapper.

New blooms: delphinium, salvia, more spirea, more trascantia.

No comments: