Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ompompanoosuc River.

8-12-10 VERMONT: It’s been seasonable and pleasant the last two days. Yesterday I weeded, filled feeders and planted more thyme, Thymus praecox [serpyllium], a siberian draba, and more Irish moss on the new patio. We bought the plants at Brown’s Nursery at their perennial sale.

I also tried something that I had read about somewhere sometime for growing and transplanting lichens. In the process of cleaning the rock formation, I pulled up a lot of moss and some lichens. I moved the moss to the gaps between the fieldstones on the patio.

I mixed some vinegar and honey in a small bowl and took scraping from lichen colonies and added the lichen to the honey-vinegar mix. Then I spooned it into small hollows on various rocks and posts to see if new colonies will develop. I also used the mix to transfer some larger intact pieces of lichen too. We’ll see.

Today we went canoeing on the Connecticut River where the Ompompanoosuc River joins it. Lots of water birds this year. In the afternoon I did more work on that walkway under the deck. I have used all the bricks I had and need more.

New blooms: more asters.


Ducks and Cormorants on the Ompom.

The sky before the storm a few nights ago. It's about 8PM, and dark from the storm. Off to the north and east [right], the sunset colors show from beyond the storm.

No comments: