Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Lilacs on the Move.

9-28-10 SHORT HILLS: I have fully recovered from the sting, it itched for two days. The wasps have been sprayed, but I'm waiting to see if there’s any residual buzz before poking the nest out of the tree.

We have had two warm and humid days of rain, about 0.65 inches, and everything is soggy now. This afternoon things had subsided to a drizzle, and I took the opportunity to move two lilacs that had ended up too large for their spots. I had planted them a few years ago in a narrow bed between the house and driveway. They flourished there, but needed pruning often.

I cut them down to three or four feet to facilitate the job. I got them out and moved, one at a time, to a low spot in the yard. There was plenty of trauma to the roots, but I hope this soggy day had them saturated enough and further frequent watering will help them survive the move. I’m not sure what to put in their old spots, maybe more hydrangeas.


The sky cleared in the late afternoon, and we got a pretty sunset after two rainy days.

No comments: