Saturday, September 25, 2010

Wasp Sting.

9-25-10 SHORT HILLS: Wow! I got a wasp sting on my forehead between the glasses and hat. It’s very painful and shocking in its suddenness, but, thankfully, only one. I rubbed ammonia on the spot which takes away the pain and then used ice to prevent swelling. An hour later I was fine.

I had been clearing dead fall from the junipers along side the driveway, big tall trees, that live under a white ash. The ash trees shed lots of small branches every time there’s a puff of wind so the junipers were covered with debris. Because they’re eight to ten feet tall, I need to use a tool or stick to shake out the fallen branches. If you don’t clear the dead fall, it prevents the trees from shedding snow as well as they otherwise might. Last winter was disastrous for heavy, wet snow that broke many branches. I spent hours in the spring pruning and propping up broken limbs. After this growing season the junipers look as good as could be expected, but can't handle more trauma.

After treating the sting, I went back outside and found a huge paper wasp nest that I had not seen before it was called to my attention. The wasps don’t like anything messing around their ‘hood. That nest was not there last spring because I worked on every tree and branch. Usually they are the size of a baseball or softball, but this one is a basketball. I usually leave them alone, live and let live, but if they’re near the house, or I get stung, they have to go. I use those powerful insecticide sprays at dusk when they’re all at home, but it’s still light enough to see what you’re doing.

You probably never thought of gardening as a contact sport.



Basketball-sized paper wasp nest hidden in junipers about eight feet off the ground. Ouch!

White Ash has been turning for about two weeks. The color change and leaf loss start with the uppermost branches and proceed downward.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too bad about the sting, I know about that kind of pain. I was stung by wasps in my citrus trees and like you, I applied amonia. Great blog you have here. I wish I could count you among my followers even if you don't read mine.