Saturday, April 23, 2011

TSE was right about April.

4-23-11 SHORT HILLS: We have had April being pretty nasty. Two days ago we had sun, strong, gusty wind and cool temps. Yesterday was cold, calm and cloudy. Today there’s been 0.75 inches of rain, without wind or electricity, with more on the radar horizon.

I finished the benches. I needed to cut the old bolts with a cordless saber saw to get the rotting old wood off the metal frames. The frames are in decent shape. I’ll need to paint them when they dry out after today’s rain.

Yesterday I went back to pruning shrubs around the house which meant a trip to the dump with a load of cuttings, and a chance to bring back more top soil to start a new flower bed.

New blooms: grape hyacinth.


Anthurium and Amaryllis from the Hotel Eden, Rome. The next day they replaced these with white ones.

Garden in Assisi, grapes, olives, fruit trees and, of course, lots of birds.

1 comment:

Lori at Jarvis House said...

Some of the pieces that you prune off shrubs might be planted. Lat year I took the Hydrangea clippings and shoved them into a large pot with potting soil. I kept the pot really wet all summer and this spring the green shoots are forming at the base of the clippings. I did this with Montauk Daisies and Shastas too.