Monday, July 18, 2011

Hot Times in Vermont.

7-18-11 VERMONT: July is slipping away, just like June did. We are almost a month past the summer solstice, and the sun begins to noticeably retreat from the north.

We’ve been back in VT for a day. There was 0.35 inches of rain in the gauge when we arrived, and we got another 0.3 inches today. It has been so hot, however, that I watered the new grass and veggies yesterday. Today I went back to work on the wheel for Judy’s pumpkin cart.

Speaking of veggies, the corn, some of it, is as high as a gardener’s eye and starting to form tassels. Some of the tomato plants are that tall as well, but none of the fruit is ripe yet, but the blueberries are. Our bushes are lovin’ this year, lots of new growth and lots of fruit. I picked a pint for dessert tonight.

New blooms: shasta daisy, first asian lily, more hybrid daylilies, summer azalea.


Hybrid Daylily.

Another one.

And Another. Not only are the colors different, but the petal size, shape, length and frilliness vary. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I don't remember the names of the varieties.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I think my tomatoes have blight, or some of them. WHY? Why is is back? Last year was fine here. For the first time ever I have rust on my hollyhocks too. Grrrrr.