Friday, May 04, 2012

Sam's Stone.

5-4-12 VERMONT: We have had rain the last two nights, the frogs seem to love it. Everything is soaked in the morning. It gets to about sixty in mid-afternoon.

Yesterday I worked on the pond which has a lot of algae this year. I scooped a lot of it out with a pool skimmer and threw in a bag of barley straw pellets. The pellets disintegrate releasing small amounts of peroxide which clears the algae, but it isn’t harmful to the rest of the pond life. I also did some weeding and put up the supports for peony, delphinium, meadow rue, and baptisia.

Today I moved the bed barrier outward for the bed at the base of the new steps to allow for the spread of beebalm, campanula and jacobs ladder. Then I planted three foxglove, Digitalis purpurea ‘Candy Mountain’, Camelot Lavender’, and ‘Giant Shirley’ in the rock garden part of that bed.

Judy and I took the dog’s memorial stone to Fairley Granite to have Sam’s name added, and we buried her ashes on the hillside behind the pond and under the big pine tree. We found a black and white stone to mark the spot.

New blooms: bleeding heart.
White Throated Sparrow.
Pulmonaria.

No comments: