Friday, May 24, 2013

Merganser and Daylily.

5-24-13 VERMONT: it’s been cold, rainy and windy for two days. I put the rain gauge out last night, and it had an inch this morning. The rain has been intermittent so I got a lot done between showers.

Yesterday I finished the veggie bed except for the electric fence which I’ll do when I plant, but it’s got to be warmer to put the tomatoes out. I also planted the herbs after tidied up the herb bed and did a lot of weeding of the surrounding beds also. In the herb bed some of the oregano survived and a lot of the tarragon, but none of the thyme, usually hardy. I planted four rosemary, three parsley, a chive, four basil, two new oregano and three thyme.

I planted six fancy columbine nearby, four ‘Songbird Nightingale’ and two ‘Songbird Mix’ Columbine aquilegia, two sage, ‘New Dimension Rose’ Salvia nemorosa, and three butterfly weed, ‘Soul Mate’ Asclepias incarnata on the edge of the pond. I also planted some Solomon seal shoots, a gift from Melissa. I also weeded the blueberry bushes, pulled up a small stand of wild garlic mustard.

We worked in lunch with Anna and Lily yesterday at the new bakery on South St.

Today I weeded in front of the new house and raked up all the piles from today and yesterday and dumped them in the area of the pasture that is becoming a composting spot. Then I did all the fertilizing for the acidophiles, basophiles and those indifferent to pH. Part of fertilizing is acidifying or alkalinizing with aluminum sulfate or calcium carbonate respectively when appropriate. The blueberries got mulched with peat moss. There was also a bit of pruning somewhere in the day.

A robin is nesting under the woodshed roof, but flies away whenever we go in the garage. There was a merganser lady on the pond for a few minutes yesterday, I think she is a hooded merganser.

New blooms: quince [forgot to mention last post], daylily.


Hooded merganser?? Anyone?

Seems early for a daylily, but they're always welcome.

Another peek at the apple tree and bleeding hearts.

No comments: