Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Ready for Veggies.

5-13-14 VERMONT: Yesterday was hot, in the eighties and sunny while today was in the fifties and overcast. Today was actually a better day to work. The plumbers were here yesterday morning to replace the hydrant, the water fixture for the barn. It was a big job, taking half a day, and requiring a four-foot hole to find the broken line.

I worked on the veggie bed, prepping it for new crops. I took off the black plastic mulch cover after pulling up all the ground staples that hold it down. I removed the soaker hose to retest it, I leveled the soil, filled a few holes and fertilized and raked the fertilizer in. Then I replaced the hose and then the cover, reversing the locations of the corn and tomatoes. That was a day’s work. Today I set up the electric fence to keep the critters out of the veggies.

I did some clean up around the house gardens and applied bone meal fertilizer, which is high in phosphates, to flowers that have been reluctant to bloom.

New blooms: viola, vinca, trout lily.


Star Magnolia. The only magnolia hardy to Zone 4, as far as I know.

Lady Wood Duck back for another visit.

1 comment:

Dee said...

Wood ducks nest in tree cavities - making the first "flight" for a fledgling quite dramatic at times. Maybe you've got a nesting pair somewhere in your proximate woods.