Sunday, June 08, 2014

Transplantapalluzza.

6-8-14 SHORT HILLS: I’ve been busy weeding, whacking, pruning and transplanting. I have made multiple trips to the dump with debris. The sprinklers are in full order for the first time in a few years. All the valves are hidden from Maizie the dog by heavy stones.

I moved about a dozen viburnum volunteers to a spot by the pool fence where a couple yew trees died. Viburnum volunteers are almost as common as weeds here. Lots of them get pulled up or cut down, but when they are in a spot that permits their being dug up, I move them where I need to build a screen or fill a hole. Burning bush volunteers are almost as common, and I use them as well.

I moved a blueberry that was languishing one place to a spot next to the other blueberries.

Most everything looks good this year. What passes for lawn is populated with any number of different, short green plants, actually including some grass. The trees and shrubs are doing well for the most part, but many of them have dead small branches.

I thought it was due to winterkill, the winter was definitely a killer. When I looked closer, most of the dead branches were marked with longitudinal scars from the cicadas. One dead, pruned southern magnolia branch, about a foot long, had seven such scars that covered all sides of the branch effectively girdling it. I'm glad they won't be back for seventeen years.

There are vines everywhere—grape, Boston ivy and a couple others I know only by sight but not by name. I have spent hours pulling them up. The Boston ivy has never been so aggressive before. It is swarming over trees and shrubs, and I have been pulling it down as well as up. Usually it is a mild mannered ground cover, but not this year.

New blooms: red spirea, mock orange, privet, white clover.


'A rose by any other name...'

White spirea with several little friends.

No comments: