Sunday, May 28, 2017

New Butterflies.

5-28-17 VERMONT: To work backwards from today—I did the herb bed this morning. There was a fair amount of oregano that survived the winter. Thyme, sage, tarragon and chive are also hardy, and of course, the pasture is full of mint. I weeded the herb bed, added soil and planted parsley and more oregano.

I planted the corn, about 85 hills, each with three seeds. With a germination rate of about 80-90%, there should be no blanks. Later I did supplementary fertilizing of the flowerbeds and a pond treatment.

Yesterday I planted flowers to fill in holes in the beds left by winter losses. I put three hybrid daylilies in the daylily bed, Hemerocallis ‘Prairie Wildflower’, H. ‘Gentle Shepherd’ and H. ‘Franz Hals’. I added another Hollyhock to the bed below the deck, Alcea rosea ‘Halo Blush’ and a lily, Lillium x orientale ‘Casa Blanca’. I put another one of those lilies in the top wall bed along with two butterfly weed, Asclepias tuberosa. I weeded the monkshood bed, it was overrun with ferns, and added two new monkshood, Aconitum napellus.

Did I mention Lily, the granddaughter, and Sam were here yesterday and left this morning. We had dinner at Samurai Soul Food and dessert at Whippy Dip. I love both those names. Brady the horse arrived this morning for his summer vacation.

The day before I did a lot of pruning and trimming of the shrubs by the front steps and driveway and generated a cart load of cuttings for the brush pile. I think that’s all the chores, but I’ll probably remember something else tomorrow. There was a rainy day in there somewhere.

New blooms: bane berry, epimedium, bergenia, lily-of-the-valley, ajuga, veronica, white star.


Mourning Cloak butterfly is enjoying the apple blossoms along with a zillion bees of many different species. Who makes up these names?

Mustard White butterfly was also on the apple tree but I couldn't find him in the camera view finder because he was so camouflaged. Fortunately for his blog debut, he went for a dandelion.

Bane berry, the red and white berries may be poisonous. The berries ripen in late summer.

Star flower is another spring ephemera. This one is a six incher that will get a second flower.

The apple trees look good upside down as well as right side up.

No comments: