Thursday, May 21, 2020

Buntings and Butterflies.

5-21-20 VERMONT: Today was in the eighties after a chilly start. We have had several days without rain, and things are getting too dry. Many chores to mention, lots of pruning and weeding, I transplanted some bunches of yellow flag iris to the new brook and waterfall, which is now almost dry. The yard below the new dam is still swampy while everything else is dry and dusty.

I put up some of the flowerbed barriers and will need to start plant supports soon.

We are out of Covid quarantine now, and I went to Home Depot and bought PT wood for the bridge over the new brook.

The low, dead pine branch holding up the bird feeders broke off scattering seed and feeders, one feeder cover was smashed. I put the smaller feeder back up on the same branch for now and put the larger feeder on a different, live apple tree branch. The day before the accident we had cameo from our Indigo Bunting, but no recurrent visit and no calls either. Also we had a Baltimore Oriole for a few days—an infrequent visitor. He was back for follow up visits the next few days, but hasn’t been back since I filled the oriole feeder.

Yesterday I saw the first dramatic butterfly, a Black Swallowtail, I think. There have been a few, small white butterflies and moths at night. Also, while I’m on insects, lots of black flies and the first fireflies.

The turtle count is up to four.

New blooms: white trillium, johnny-jump-up, alkanet, pink lamium.


Indigo bunting, cameo appearance a few days ago, he's here, on and off, most summers, but only this once so far this year.

A sometime visitor, Baltimore oriole, was here for a few days until the branch holding the bird feeders broke, and the feeders fell. I put out an oriole feeder, which is filled with sugar water like the hummer feeders, but only those hummers are using it.

Speaking of hummingbirds, this is what I see from my desk. I took the screen down for better watching.

A better look at Mr. H.

White trillium, the third leaflet is in the back.

Star magnolia is the only magnolia hardy for Zone 4, but we are slowly creeping into Zone 5.

The houses from behind the new pond.

Another oriole visit.

Butterflies are just turning up here, I think this is a Black Swallowtail on a dandelion.

No comments: