Thursday, May 28, 2020

Tomatoes Have Arrived.

5-28-20 VERMONT: On the ninth of this month, we had two inches of snow, but slightly more than two weeks later, it hit 90° and set state records many places. By this weekend, we’ll be back to seasonal temps—whatever that means now. With no rain, I’ve put out hoses and started to water the beds.

I was at Gardener’s Supply, née Longacre’s, and Home Depot to get tomatoes and herbs. This year, as last year, I don’t have a veggie garden, but we will make do with tomatoes in pots on the deck and herbs, some in pots and some in the herb bed. I got two ‘Sun Sugar’ cherry tomatoes, one ‘Early Girl’ and one ‘Big Beef’ all now enjoying full sun on the deck. I made pots of basil, rosemary, and oregano to grace the picnic table, and added curly parsley and another oregano to the herb bed, which has thyme, tarragon, chives, sage that over-wintered and Lily’s garlic starts from last week.

Add watering, weeding, pruning and counting new blooms, those are my days. Also I tried making a few channels in the swampy spots for drainage, I’ll see if it helps.

I haven’t put the bird seed feeders back out since the bears were here, but will try again in a couple of days. Judy brought her pumpkin cart out of the barn and set it up with a flower basket. As happens every year there are several holes in the beds where some perennial or other didn’t survive the winter. There are at least six or eight now. While I will miss the missing, it gives me a chance for something new or to try some favorite in a new spot. I’ll wait a little longer for late sleepers to awaken before pronouncing them dead.

New blooms: azalea, lilac, quince, honeysuckle bush, blueberry, coral bells, geranium.


The hummingbirds have drained this feeder, 16 oz., in about two weeks.

Our big apple tree is usually covered with white flowers, looking like snow. This year there are many fewer blossoms, but Gus is still pleased with the show.

Japanese or drumstick primrose are getting started on the bank of the old pond.

Azalea will put on an impressive display that I hope to show in a week of so.

Quince has been open for a while, but I missed the actual start, probably a week ago.

Spring classic-lilac. These are French lilacs, the Asian ones appear later.

Mohican viburnum is the first of several viburnums here. Classic white flower half-domes with yellow stamen.

No comments: