Thursday, August 16, 2018

Birds, Birds, Birds.

8-16-18 VERMONT: There has been more rain, and it’s wearing out Kaley the dog. She hates rain and is terrified by thunder, so she’s been a wreck all week.

Yesterday Judy was driving on our road to Coburn’s General Store and saw a pair of large turkey-sized birds. She didn’t have a functioning camera, so we went back to the spot, but didn’t see anything. Later I went back alone and waited and walked around the fields on either side of the road, and just before I was going to give up, I saw the male. I heard the female, but didn’t see her. I think they are nesting near the road in the brush by and old stonewall. I assume they are a feral pair.

We ID’d them as Helmeted Guineafowl, African natives. [Don’t tell ICE or Trump.] They eat seeds and insects, including ticks, and make a lot of noise. I wonder how they’ll do in the winter.

Later that day I saw a Great Blue Heron on a brief visit to our pond. Later still I saw a baby robin out of its nest, hopping around and squawking. The parents were standing by.

Today I was pruning the apple tree by the deck when I spotted a bird on a distant, dead tree while I was on a break. I got a couple pix before it headed out. I think it’s a Northern Flicker, yellow-shafted female.

Lucy left for NYC this morning on the Dartmouth Coach, and we are out of guests for now.

New blooms: white star clematis, white turtlehead.


Helmeted Guineafowl, probably feral, the white female didn't show herself to me. Judy saw her earlier, but without a working camera.

A local feed store sells eggs of these African birds. They make a lot of noise and are supposed to eat ticks. This pair seems to be at home in Strafford, VT.

Same day as the guineafowl, we had a Great Blue Heron visit.

Cup plant. Notice how the leaf pair are joined to each other at the stem forming a cup, here filled with rainwater.

Goldenrod is attracting a load of pollinators.

Later the same day, a baby robin was out of the nest to the distress of the parents. It can fly a little and squawk a lot. Good luck for the next few days.

Today I thought I saw a bird perched in a distant, dead tree, but couldn't tell what it was until I got a picture. Looks like a Northern Flicker, yellow-shafted female.

No comments: