Sunday, April 29, 2012

New Shrubs.

4-29-12 SHORT HILLS: It continues to be sunny, windy and warm in the afternoon, but cold overnight. Again, we need rain, the sprinklers are back on.

I planted nine new shrubs just to the east of the bald cypress tree along the path. First I did a group of three tutsans, Hypericum androsaemum 'Albury Purple', mostly to be a mound of green-purple foliage. Then two blueberries, Vaccinium corymbosum ‘Blue Jay’ and ‘Duke’, an Exbury azalea, ‘Gibraltar’, with red-orange flowers. I hope they will be a tall center to the plantings. Lastly, three Weigela, two ‘Rumba’, and one ‘Wine and Roses’ to be another, taller mound. I’ll get a few more shrubs for the other side of the cypress, perhaps spireas.

That was yesterday, today I dug up lamium that I had planted in a dark spot under trees that became a sunny spot when the two spruces came down winter before last. Now grass grows there. I found a home for the lamium, some with the new shrubs and some in the upper Westview corner by the kerria and red-twig dogwood. After all that I did a lot of watering.

Judy's fern turned 40 last year. She likes a sunny window and summer outside.

No comments: