Sunday, April 27, 2014

Snip, Snip, Snip.

4-27-14 SHORT HILLS: I’m still at it—pruning, snipping, cutting and sawing of winter kill and damage from the snow. It is worse under the eaves of the house because of the falling snow that came off the roof. Every shrub has had damage when you get a close up look, some of it just minor. It gets easier to spot the damage as the season progresses because the dead branches turn brown and the live parts turn green. I have another load of debris for the dump on Monday.

It’s April weather, windy, sometimes warm and sometimes rainy. Sprinkler zone 3 is under-powered and Wilpat will come back to replace waterline[s] blocked by roots. We will need fence repairs also.

The lawn is greening up, leaves are appearing. I did the kerria pruning and left the live canes. The Hypericum, St. Johns wort, are re-growing from the ground because last year’s canes are all dead. The roses were all pruned by about fifty percent. The azaleas all had broken branches. I take my favorite shears every time I go outside.

New blooms: bleeding heart, quince, more daffodils.


Similar to the fruit flowers I showed a few days ago, but this is Quince.

Bleeding Heart.

I like these better than the yellow ones.

No comments: