Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Spring Chores.

4-23-14 SHORT HILLS: Today was cool and very windy after a couple nice days. The sprinklers seem to be OK now. The past two days I finished the first, and maybe only, fertilizing of all the shrubs, flowers and new trees. I also acidified the acidophiles and alkalinized the basophiles and limed the lawn.

Yesterday I did the pruning around the driveway and street, removing all the plow damage and winterkill. It amounted to two dump loads of cuttings, mostly junipers.

Some shrubs are late opening, and I am fearful they may have major damage. The kerria, for instance, took a big hit and has 75% dead canes. I’ll take out all the dead stuff but am uncertain about whether or not to cut the rest down to a few inches and hope it recovers or to let the scattered canes stay as they are. I need to look at the base and see if there’s any new growth.

New blooms: pear, pulmonaria, dandelion, marsh marigold.


Mourning Dove on her nest.


Cherry tree.

Cherry blossoms.

Similar, but not the same-Pear tree.

No comments: