Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Fence Mending and Owl's Head.

8-6-14 VERMONT: I missed a post a couple days ago because Facebook wouldn’t take a link from the Google Blogger. I asked Facebook for help, and now it works again, so maybe they did something.

It’s been dry for a week or so, except for brief showers without any accumulation.

I spent two days working on the wire fence that encloses the back of the pasture. I hadn’t checked it in a while [two years?] and there were three trees that had fallen on the fence. I used the chain saw to cut the fence free of the trees and found a number of breaks in the wire. I repaired those and re-applied the tensioners that keep the wires taut. There are five wires, BTW, for most of the fence, but some sections have only two wires, which is enough for horses, but not enough for sheep which we don’t have. I also cut up a downed aspen in the pasture.

Yesterday Judy and I drove to Groton State Park and did the short hike up Owl’s Head. It’s a granitic mountain. The granite is similar to that found in the Barre quarries. There are also nature hikes at the park Nature Center and a beach on Lake Groton. I’ll add something about the geology of Owl’s Head to the Geology Blog after I research it.

I saw an unusual butterfly yesterday and went out in the pasture today with the camera to see if I could find it. I couldn’t, but did catch some birds—Song Sparrows or maybe Savannah Sparrows. Anyone???

New blooms: more phlox.


A non-feeder bird that I think is a Song Sparrow, but could be a Savannah Sparrow. Anyone???

He/She has a worm in its beak for a juvenile...

The juvenile in question.

After about ten pix, the f@#$%*g bird mooned me.

Iconic Vermont summer scene.

The top of Owl's Head looking west. That's Hardwood Mountain and Kettle Pond.

GSP has lots of scenery.

No comments: