Monday, August 11, 2014

New Plants.

8-11-14 VERMONT: Brown’s Nursery is having their summer sale. So I went and stocked on perennials. Since I stopped the mowing along the bank of the pond, the pond has stayed clearer because the weekly load of clippings is now not getting added to and decomposing on the bottom. Lots of native plants have appeared in the unmowed margin, including dandelions, plantain and other nasties. I have been planting desirable flowers, some transplanted from the gardens or pasture and some purchased.

Over the weekend I added three coneflowers near the ones I added last year, two Echinacea purpurea ‘Merlot’ and one ‘Flame Thrower’. In the astilbe corner, I added two Astilbe arendsii ‘Peachblossom’, two ’Flamingo’ and one ‘Cattleya’. I also put two goat’s beard, Aruncus dioicus and one baby’s breath, Gypsophila paniculata ‘My Pink’ in that same area.

I added two thyme to the walkways in front of the new house, Thymus praecox ‘Coccineus’ and Thymus pseudolanuginosus, and two soapwort, Saponaria officinalis to the roadside bed.

We are a few days away from harvesting corn.


Great Spangled Fritillary on Echinacea.

House hiding in the gardens...

Judy's cart and Maizie...

These last three pix are Judy's.

No comments: