Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Weekend Plus...

10-22-14 SHORT HILLS: It’s been a busy several days—I’ll just try a recap. Last Friday was warm and dry, and I did more work on the flowerbeds, finishing most of the beds in front of the house. That night was the Homecoming bonfire and cocktail parties in Hanover. Roger and Leeza came to the house Friday night after the action in town.

There was more rain that night and on Saturday morning. Roger, Leeza and I were so late finishing breakfast that we went directly from the breakfast table to the class tailgate party. The afternoon hikers bailed in the face of more rain, some folks went to the football game, I went back to the house to finish a few more chores. Lily was my date for the class dinner, and her ‘debut’ was a big success.

Sunday Leeza and Roger were out before the 11 AM checkout time, and we all had breakfast at King Arthur Flour. In the afternoon Anna and Gardner checked in, and we made dinner plans with Lily to go to the Norwich Inn to round out Sunday night.

Monday morning was cold and windy after an overnight frost. Anna, Gardner and I were out of the house by 11, and on our separate ways back to the Metro area. My trip was fine, and I was welcomed home by the dogs and Judy. The dogs were enthusiastic.

Tuesday I got the car inspected, gassed up and scheduled a small repair before we headed to NYC for dinner at CafĂ© Fiorello with my Aunt Jean and then the N. Y. Philharmonic with Lang Lang doing an all Mozart program that included the Piano Concerto 24 [K. 491] in C minor. To me the minor key pieces are darker and more complex, wistful and rueful at the same time. LL, who we have seen before, always seems to be enjoying himself and deeply into the music. The audience loved the performances and clapped enough to get an encore—a rarity at the NY Phil.


Monkshood, a very late blooming variety.

Snow on top of Mt. Moosilauke after the Sunday night frost.

Friday night bonfire - no egos were harmed in the taking of this picture.

Lang Lang at the N. Y. Philharmonic all Mozart program Tuesday.

No comments: